Individual Spiritual Direction
Nature-Based Spiritual Practices
Ministry Description: As a spiritual director, it is my desire to weave together my passions for spirituality, contemplation, creation, and listening deeply to others. My intention is to approach spiritual direction from a spiritual ecology lens, and so I encourage sessions to take place outdoors in natural areas as much as possible. I walk with individuals and we pay attention to, and deepen our connection with, the Spirit's presence within and around us.
I am also available to lead outdoor contemplative worship for groups, retreats, workshops, and staff inservices. Some of my recent engagements have included:
- Mennonite Church Eastern Canada Junior High Retreat sessions and worship
- Centre for Sustainable Climate Solutions Pastors' Retreat worship sessions
- Rockway Mennonite Collegiate Staff Inservice forest church session
- Rooted and Grounded Conference workshop
- Skylight Festival workshop and worship
- Mennonite Church Eastern Canada Office Administrator's Day forest church session
Background: I received my training in spiritual direction at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary after almost two decades of receiving spiritual direction from a number of wonderful directors and sensing a call to explore offering this ministry myself.
I am an ordained pastor serving at St Jacobs Mennonite Church, and also the pastoral leader and founder of Burning Bush Forest Church, an outdoor worshipping community. Connected to this, I am a partner in the Wild Church Network, and have participated in a variety of related courses such as
- Spirituality in Nature (2016)
- Biblical Foundations of Creation Care (2017)
- Seminary of the Wild (2017 & 2019)
- School of Celtic Consciousness (2018)
My spiritual journey was shaped by the wide open geography of the Canadian prairies and appreciation for the simple things of life.